Wednesday, December 3

Album Review: Human - Brandy

Ever since Brandy’s second studio album “Never Say Never” (1998), I have been captivated by her voice and her creativity. This woman is talented and she has grown so much. She has been through so much. Not your typical Pop or R&B singer, she doesn’t get down with the Hollwood nonsense. This chick is real. Now let’s get down with the review.. “Human” ..

“Human” starts off with a well titled Intro, ‘Human’. It’s good to hear an Intro where the artist speaks with conviction and certainty and I can definitely hear that in Brandy’s voice. I actually played it 3 times because I was pulled in by the seriousness of it. Following this, we’ve got two new songs, ‘The Definition’ and ‘Warm It Up (With Love)’. The former is much better but that speaks volumes for the latter which is great as well. So far, Human – 10/10.

Then we have the amazing debut single, ‘Right Here (Departed)’ which has to be one of the most moving songs of the year. Especially with that music video which just wowed me in its simplicity. That song really reinforced my love for Brandy and I am actually yet to find someone that dislikes it.

Like most Brandy albums, there is a long string of great, catchy mid-tempo numbers and ballads. ‘Piano Man’, ‘Long Distance’ (the second single which personally shouldn’t be the second single – I love it nevertheless), ‘Camouflage’, ‘Torn Down (which sounds nice with the guitar strings; I could’ve sworn it was a Stargate song but it’s Midi Mafia)’ and ‘Human’ (a Toby Gad production).

The album then begins to pick up from there with ‘Shattered Heart’ which is a favourite of mine. The beat is really what gets into me as well as Ms. Norwood’s vocals around the hook. I really love it. It’s not really single material but it’s just amazing. The next song is ‘True’ which is a RedOne production so automatically I thought, “Oh, upbeat number!" but I was wrong. I guess I was so used to the whole Just Dance-Whine Up vibe from those guys.

However, in all its slowness, it’s still a good song but one of the weakest on the record and the funny thing is that I love it. So basically, in summary, I love the album! “Human” really goes out of the box, trying new things. ‘A Capella (Something’s Missing)’ is a really intriguing song and is one of my favourites. I love the ‘boom clap, boom clap’ repitition. Finally, “Human” ends on a fantastic note with ‘1st & Love’ and ‘Fall’.

All in all, I can’t say a bad thing about the album. It is defintely one of my favourites of the year. Giving Girlicious, yes, Girlicious the competition that they needed in terms of album phenomenosity (new word). Brandy may not sell like Beyoncé but she certainly makes better albums.

Album Highlights

Right Here (Departed)

The Definition

Piano Man

Shattered Heart

A Cappella (Something’s Missing)

Album Rating: [5/5]

What do you think?

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think Human is another great Brandy album.