Tuesday, August 12

Album Review: Girlicious - Girlicious

Release Date: August 12, 2008 (Canada)

First of all let me say that I'm a huge Girlicious fan before I go off praising these girls for what is bound to be one of the best and most enjoyable albums by a group in the last couple years. Nichole, Chrystina, Tiffanie and Natalie have molded themselves into the perfect combination of sassy, sexy, classy and talented. With different vocal styles each girl represents a special and unique part of today's musical demand. I love them all - because they're Girlicious. And now the review begins..

The first song on the album is 'Do About It' and this song is just perfect for summer. It could easily be a single as it's amazing dance vibe just pounds right through the speakers. 'Baby Doll', which is supposed to be the second single has one the catchiest choruses I've heard in a very long time. Then the amazing hook makes me think this is a better version of 'Shut Up & Drive'. If things go naturally this song could very well reach the top of the charts in Canada and the US alike, making it their first hit there.

'Liar Liar' which features Flo Rida, is definitely one of the most urban songs on the album with thumping bass and soft lyrics that are played well, fitting with the theme of the song. These girls are good vocal actresses as well. 'Here I Am' was a completely unexpected track as the girls had some rock up in there. It's beautiful, starting with Tiff's vocals which were softer than usual and I loved that.

Of course they're some fairly weak sounds on the album. For Girlicious though, their weak means that it isn't 5 stars, just 4 or so. 'Cause the album is that great. 'Save The World' is okay but I'm not sure it was necessary to place it on the album. Also, 'Mirror' really didn't appeal much to my ears.

'The Way We Were' is a beautiful ballad-like/poppy song which features only Nichole's voice (but some smooth backups from the rest). 'Radio' is very intriguing and I fell in love with it as more of the song progressed. There is of course 'Like Me' which was one the best songs to grace radio and television for 2008. The most surprising track: 'My Boo'. This one is old schooooool! I loved it once the first 2 seconds came on. My take is that Girlicious should release 'Still In Love' now before summer ends as it is excellent and has the appeal to take it to number one.

At the end of a very enjoyable album all I can do is smile and put the whole thing on Repeat. I only wish that Chrystina would've gotten more spots or at least better spots on the album. Her vocals definitely shine and would be perfect to start off a Girlicious breakthrough single.

Album Highlights

Like Me

Baby Doll

Do About It

Liar Liar (feat. Flo Rida)

Still In Love (feat. Sean Kingston)

Album Rating: [4.5/5]

What do you think?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVED it these girls are so underrated it pisses me off

Chris said...

:) someone that shares my point of view.

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!